Translate

Wednesday 17 August 2016

The book of the Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2

 


The book of Prophet Jeremiah

 Chapter 2

 


 

1. The word of the LORD came to me, saying: 2.  Go and proclaim in the hearing of Jerusalem, Thus says the LORD:  I remember the devotion of your youth, your love as a bride, how you followed me in the wilderness, in a land not sown.



(Book of Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verses 1 to 2)





Oh God my Father You remember the time when we were still innocent and free of the stain of sin, when all our actions were genuine and not have a malicious intent, when our obedience to our parents was absolute, because they were our comfort zones to which we would return on, feeling insecure as in childhood. 




Oh God, my Father, You are also reminding us of the beginning of our relationship with You when we made our peak experience and placed our entire trust in You. During such moments we were ready to do all that You asked us to do, or go wherever You wanted me to go. In my case, in search of Your will I ended up in Sicily with the 'Brothers of Mother Theresa' and even in Spain where I accepted Your call in the presence of Bishop Cortez in Spain from which after I joined the friars of St.Augustine in Malta. Even in 2016, I am still venturing on roads according to Your Will. I have changed many jobs, and everywhere I went I proclaim Your Word and my belief in You. Amen. 

 


3. Israel was holy to the LORD, the first fruits of his harvest. All who ate of it were held guilty; disaster came upon them, says the LORD.




(Book of Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verse 3)



Oh God my Father, as You try to remind Your people about how faithful You had always been and about how much You protected them from their enemies, You are also telling me not to worry of what may happen in the future but to place my full trust in You my God and Father and look ahead Amen.



4. Hear the word of the LORD, O house of Jacob, and all the families of the house of Israel. 5. Thus says the LORD: What wrong did your ancestors find in me that they went far from me, and went after worthless things, and became worthless themselves?



(Book of Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verses 4 to 5)



Oh God my Father today in 2016 You ask us the same question:



"Where did I go wrong ? You asked for rain and I give you rain, You asked for security love and even material gains and needs and to reach your aims and I helped you so long as it was healthy for you. You received all this bounty and care and nonetheless, some of you have chosen to follow other religions or to become atheists! Even though your ancestors were not academics as you are today they believed in God and the message of the 'Good News', however, you have denied me although you claim to be super intelligent! Where did I go wrong?



6. They did not say, "Where is the LORD who brought us up from the land of Egypt, who led us in the wilderness, in a land of deserts and pits, in a land of drought and deep darkness, in a land that no one passes through, where no one lives?"




(Book of Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verse 6)



Oh God, my Father this is one of the many accusations that we accuse You of. Where was God in that situation and or why did He permit so many people to die? When hurling such unfair accusations we fail to consider that it is not by Your will that death exists or ever came into existence. You hate the death of humans so much that You made a parody of it on the cross by dying and rising up again and thus escaping from its clutches. On the other hand, my God and Father, on the one hand, we tell You to stay out of our lives because we would like to live life according to our ways, but on the other hand, when things go wrong we ask each other, why You permitted this and that to happen. I pray that You have mercy on us, for we do not know what we do or say Amen. 



7. I brought you into a plentiful land to eat its fruits and its good things. But when you entered you defiled my land, and made my heritage an abomination.




(Book of Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verse 7)



Oh God my Father, in which area of our life did You make a mistake. You created us in Your form, gave us your presence by means of the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, You also gave us a wonderful brain and the possibility of discovering great wonders in order to help improve life on earth. However oh God we do not always use our intelligence and spirit for good intent but for negative purposes. I pray oh God my Father that You stay by us every day of our lives for we are weak and do not know what we do or say.  




8. The priests did not say, "Where is the LORD?" 'Those who handle the law did not know me: the rulers transgressed against me; the prophets prophesied by Baal, and went after things that do not profit.



(Book of Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verse 8)



Oh God, my Father when it came to making important decisions in the world regarding abortion clinics, divorce, same-gender marriages and many more You were not consulted. Therefore now we are subject to face the consequences of such negative decisions Amen.



9. Therefore once more I accuse you, says the LORD, and I accuse your children's children.


(Book of Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verse 9)



Oh God my Father if You were to pass judgment on the world You would still find many issues on which to accuse us, for many forms of injustices are taking place in the world. As the human race which is superior to that of the animal kingdom and Your Sons and Daughters, we are to be more caring and responsible and place our trust in You Amen.




10. Cross to the coasts of Cyprus and look, send to Kedar and examine with care; see if there has ever been such a thing. 11. Has a nation changed its gods, even though they are no gods? But my people have changed their glory for something that does not profit. 12. Be appalled, O heavens, at this, be shocked, be utterly desolate, says the Lord, 13. for my people have committed two evils: they have forsaken me, the fountain of living water, and dug out cisterns for themselves, cracked cisterns that can hold no water.



(Book of Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verses 10 to 13)



Oh God, my Father go to Syria the situation is disastrous, it is as if the reign of chaos and death is reigning. People in the world are committing shelling and air strikes. When You are not present in our lives we start acting worse than animals. We become more animals than animals themselves. We are truly like jars or cisterns that are cracked and can hold no water. The devil makes the cracks bigger so that we cannot keep Your presence in us. I pray for the healing of the world my God and Father Amen.


14. Is Israel a slave? Is he a homeborn servant? Why then has he become plunder?


(Book of Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verse 14)



Oh God my Father this is a very interesting question, are we slaves or free persons? From a legal perspective, we can all say that we have fundamental human rights which make us free to obey the laws and live our social lives along with the exercise of our rights and obligations, however, on the other hand, we are treating others as if they are slaves. 


In truth in the flesh, we are not that free for we are slaves of our own sins and addictions,, if we choose to be controlled by such negative forces. Our only freedom is that of being able to worship You, my God and Father Amen.





15. The lions have roared against him, they have roared loudly. They have made his land a waste; his cities are in ruins, without inhabitant.


(Book of Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verse 15)



Oh God my Father, indeed the lions are gnashing their teeth against me from all sides, all hell is breaking looses against me and I feel totally exhausted. If I did not place my hope in You I would have already been psychologically, and spiritually destroyed, however, You are always close by ready to protect and love me Amen.



16. Moreover, the people of Memphis and Tahpanhes have broken the crown of your head. 17. Have you not brought this upon yourself by forsaking the LORD your God, while he led you in the way?


(Book of Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verses 16 to 17)



Oh God my Father many times You try to drag us out of the pit that we end up digging for others and at times even for ourselves. You love us so much that You save us from our evil selves, even though at times we decide to act according to our own plans and not according to Your will Amen.



18. What then do you gain by going to Egypt, to drink the waters of the Nile? Or what do you gain by going to Assyria, to drink the waters of the Euphrates?



(Book of Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verse 18)




Oh God, many times we prefer to go back to our old lives than face the reality of the present one. As humans, we end up turning back to our state of Egypt and drinking the unclean water instead of dipping our buckets into Your clean and never-ending graceful and abundant healing waters Amen.



19. Your wickedness will punish you, and your apostasies will convict you. Know and see that it is evil and bitter for you to forsake the LORD your God; the fear of me is not in you, says the Lord God of hosts.


(Book of Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verse 19)



Oh, brothers and sisters, none of our actions be they good or bad can escape God my Father who is aware of our deeds all the time of our life. Even though we may not be aware of Your presence, You are always there. I thank You oh God for being so alert and ready to help me. I pray that I am found humble to respond to Your summons and not be hard-hearted, deaf and blind Amen. I pray that I be a channel of Your love so much that people who meet me make an experience of Your presence and not myself Amen.


20. For long ago you broke and burst your bonds, and you said, "I will not serve!" On every high hill and under every green tree you sprawled and played the whore.



(Book of Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verse 20)




Oh God my Father for many years I have been under the yoke of my obedience to You. I have been persevering the brunts and lashes of a tongue that shows no love and care. I cannot take it anymore. I will still serve You even if I stay no longer in this marriage. If I decide to go it is not because  Ido not want to serve you or to carry my cross but because I am becoming psychologically and physically weak. I do not know how long I can take it Amen. Please help me oh God my Father. Amen. 



21. Yet I planted you as a choice vine, from the purest stock. How then did you turn degenerate and become a wild vine? 


(Book of Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verse 21)




Oh God my Father, You created us as humans, and all that You created is perfect, how then did we degenerate into such a sinful state as a global community and even on an individual level? I pray for mercy oh God my Father, both for myself and even for the world at large, for we have become dirty and stained by our sins. Amen.


²² Though you wash yourself with lye and use much soap, the stain of your guilt is still before me, says the Lord God.



(Book of Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verse 22)

 

Oh God my beloved Father do what we may, we can never deny our sinful reality and the fact that one day we are to meet You face to face and be accountable and responsible for all our actions as humans. I pray that You give me the grace to be true and honest in all my actions on earth. Give me the gratitude to thank You for all that goes well in life and even not well along with the responsibility and humility to admit where and when I was in error Amen.



²³ How can you say, " I am not defiled, I have not gone after the Baals"? Look at your way in the valley; know what you have done- a restive young camel interlacing her tracks, ²⁴ a wild ass at home in the wilderness, in her heat sniffing the wind! Who can restrain her lust? None who seek her need weary themselves in her month they will find her. 


(Book of Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verse 23 to 24) 



Oh God, my beloved Father, none of us including my self can stand before You blameless. Our sins are always before us and we can never deny them. I pray oh God my Father that due to this reality I will never think of judging others for it is best to judge myself before doing so. Amen 


²⁵ Keep your feet from going unshod and your throat from thirst. But you said, "It is hopeless,  for I have loved strangers and after them I will go."



(Book of Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verse 25)



Oh God, my beloved Father, many times You have talked to me and others about taking care of ourselves and be protected against the forces of evil both within us and even in our social environment. However, at times we are tempted to follow our desires and inclinations that are purely carnal and worldly instead of following You Amen. 


²⁶  As a thief is shamed when caught, so the house of Israel shall be shamed- they, their kings, their officials, their priests, and their prophets, ²⁷ who say to a tree, "You are my father." and to a stone, "You gave me birth." For they have turned their backs to me, and not their faces. But in the time of their trouble they say,"Come and save us!"


(Book of Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verses 26 to 27) 



Oh God I am aware that when I appear before You I am dirty with my sins. I  am also aware that I have not always depended on You and for this I am sorry. Once when I was talking with my lawyer I told her only you can save me, as if she has control over my life but only of a small part of my situation. I pray that while I still have time, I learn to let go and depend on You my God and Father. Amen. 


²⁸ But where are your gods that you have made for yourself? Let them come, if they can save you, in your time of trouble; for you have as many gods as you have town, O Judah.


(Book of the Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verse 28)


Oh God, my Father the gods that we have created such as wealth, military power, luxury and comfort do not stand a chance against You and the forces that You possess. We have also made many gods and even though we know that they are as blind as we are some of us keep on worshipping them. I pray that You lovingly lead us out of our blindness Amen. 



²⁹ Why do you complain against me? You have all rebelled against me says the LORD.


(Book of the Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verse 29) 


Oh God my Father as humans this is something that we excel in. People working in customer care will never be bored because our complaints will never stop being reported. As much as we complain against each other, we end up complaining about You, from whom we have received nothing but love, grace, and mercy. I pray that before complaining about You we stop and reflect on our relationship of love with You Amen. 


³⁰ In vain I have struck down your children; they accepted no correction. Your own sword devoured your prophets like a ravening lion.


(Book of the Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verse 30)


Oh God my Father, many times I ask You many questions about why this happened and why this did not, however You have the answer to all my questions even though I do not always understand Your reasons. Today I rest assured that You are in control of every situation of my life and that I have no right to question You for Your actions Amen.


³¹  And you, O generation, behold the word of the LORD! Have I been a wilderness to Israel, or a land of thick darkness? Why then do my people say, "We are free, we will come to you no more"?


(Book of the Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verse 31) 



Oh God, my Father You have always been my light even though I sometimes prefer the darkness of the world to Your light. However, on reflecting my God and Father I cannot live without Your light and Your love, for I am not a child of the night but of the day. My sin is what makes me shift from my good side to my lesser good side. However, You chose to die and clear away forever. I cannot live without You Amen. 


³² Can a girl forget her ornaments, or a bride her attire? Yet my people have forgotten me, days without number.


(Book of the Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verse 32) 



Oh God my blessed Father this verse came at the right time of my life because I was on the verge of stopping my prayers. Right now I feel abandoned and alone. I am crying to You for Your intervention, however, I am not hearing Your voice. I thought that I was praying for a good habit and not out of faith and love for You. I pray that You help me out of this situation and let me see Your light and experience Your love again.


³³ How well you direct your course to seek lovers! So that even to wicked women you have taught your ways



(Book of the Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verse 33)


Oh God, my beloved Father, You are fair and just with everybody. You show the way of salvation to everyone, it is our decision which way to chose. Amen 


³⁴ Also on your skirts is found the lifeblood of the innocent poor, though you did not catch them breaking in Yet in spite of all these things ³⁵ you say, "I am innocent; surely his anger has turned from me." Now I am bringing you to judgment for saying, "I have not sinned."


(Book of the Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verses 34 to 35)


Oh God my beloved Father, I am also bringing the issue of access to my daughter before You and even that of her visiting her mother's boyfriends abroad, and also regarding the issue of maintenance. In court, I will not sign anything before my access is granted. I do not deserve to be treated in this way and You know it, for even You were treated in a way that was unfit for God during your life as a human Amen.


³⁶ How lightly you gad about, changing your ways! You shall be put to shame by Egypt as you were put to shame by Assyria.


(Book of the Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verse 36 )


Oh God my Father, many times we promise that we are changing our ways, however, we are condemned by ourselves when we do not stick to what we have promised because our judgment will be on ourselves and not on others amen.


³⁷ From there also you will come away with your hands on your head; for the LORD has rejected those in whom you trust, and you will not prosper through them.


(Book of the Prophet Jeremiah Chapter 2 verse 37 )


Oh God, my beloved Father may You trust whom I trust and may I trust those whom You trust. Many times it happens that I do not trust the people whom You trust. Throughout the course of my life, I have learned to be very selective in those whom I can really trust. I pray for Your discernment to make good decisions in this respect Amen.


I would like to close this second chapter of the book of the Prophet Jeremiah with the following prayer:


Oh God my beloved Father, Your timing is not like our timing, Your reasons and time of deliverance is unlike that of humans. Many times we blame You for the shortcomings of which we had an active part in. Forgive us our Lord God and Father Amen.


















 
 











No comments:

Post a Comment